[hpsdr] Names of Various Projects

Dan Babcock danbabc at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 20:23:31 PDT 2006

Whoops, I initially sent this to the wrong group.  It must have been Freudian.

Phil, Bob, Frank and Kirb:

 Some years ago I set up an LLC to do some consulting work.  It was
appropriately called, I thought, Aerospace Consulting Partnership, LLC.
About six months after filing the LLC paperwork with the Florida
Secretary of State,  a three pound packet from a law firm in Chicago arrived
with a cover letter that claimed their client held a trademark for the word
Aerospace.  For a fee of $15,000 they were willing to sell a license to me
so that I could continue operating my business without having to worry
about them taking me to court.

 I talked to an attorney about it.  He suggested I write a letter to
the Cook County Bar Association explaining in detail what had happened
and lodging a complaint against the attorney whose name was on the cover
letter.

 About a month later I received a letter from the Bar Association saying the
attorney had "elected to disassociate" himself from the company that
claimed they owned the trademark.

 I believe that people have the right to protect their trade names and
other Intellectual Property from misappropriation by others.  I do not
believe that anyone has a superior right to the use of a common word.
If someone used FlexRadio, it is one thing.  Simply using the word Flex
or Radio is something else.

 It is normally better to ignore stuff from the theater of the absurd.
Based upon my previous experiences, I feel a comment is in order.

 73,

 Dan N4XWE