[hpsdr] [FPGA_USB] PCB Design

H. Gruchow horst at needles.de
Sun Apr 23 23:14:37 PDT 2006

Hi group,

Eric, thanks for your comments regarding the pcb design.
I thought about it as well as about Lyle's and Chris' comments on the ATLAS connections
and did another design suggestion. It can be viewed here:

http://www.needles.de/pics/FPGA_USB_V1.pdf

For all the I/O stuff it uses another DIN 41612 B type male connector (64 pins) which will
exactly fit at the lower edge of the board. With this you have the option of using a
female ribbon cable connector and just populate whatever connections you want with the
cable and just plug it in. You can even have different cables with different variations.
I left the DB9 connector on board for now but of course it can be removed anytime.

As far as I can see for now it even leaves some space at the lower board edge to use some
pcb guides although I think that the short board is stiff enough with a connector in the X
and Y axis (which additionally stiffen the board) to be used without any guides.

Open for comments.

73
Horst
DL6KBF