[hpsdr] [ATLAS] Another Altlas picture

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Wed Apr 12 15:31:03 PDT 2006

Phil

Thanks for all the picts and comments.

Helmut
Yes we had a very extended discussion in the old Xylo discussions group.

I researched many 1u slide mount enclosures which mandated that the cards be
the same length, and we settled on 100 x 100 mm. It also mandated that all
connectors and connections to the 'outside world' be placed on the card edge
opposite the connector and ONLY there. After extended discussion it was
decided that we could use a PC for both power and mounting and not specify
an enclosure. A huge benefit for a 'hobby' group, since custom enclosures
would not have to be 'stocked' The card connectors are on center for
mounting in a PC enclosure if the connections are made on the edge adjacent
to the connector they would fit the L-bracket openings on the enclosure
bringing connections to the 'outside' world. Obviously if we do use pc
enclosures, then 'inside world' (to the PC enclosure) could be made. In fact
card size is somewhat unlimited in that case. They could be as long a

There are some obvious limitations and benefits to case styles when PC
enclosures are the plan. With the PC Enclosure style, the ONLY dimension
that is important AND FIXED is the distance from the board(s) mounted in
their connector to the L-bracket opening on the back of a PC enclosure.
Obviously the height of the board would be roughly limited to the L-Bracket
opening with the Atlas on standoff's as Phil shows in his picture. The
length could be a MASSIVE full ATX card or more!

We should again discuss this carefully as we approach any manufactured
Project Card.

1. We informally agreed that project boards should be 100 x 100 mm. (fab
economy & adequate project real-estate.)
2. We informally agreed that the 'outside world connections should be along
one adjacent edge (facing L-bracket openings in the PC enclosure).

Actually I had in mind to have Beppe - IK3VIG design an art-deco enclosure
in chrome plate modeled after a 1950 or so Motorola AM desktop radio, with
one knob (on/off) on the front and a MASS of wires coming out the back!
(smile).

Realistically now:

Comments:

Thanks