[hpsdr] FW: hpsdr] [FPGA_USB] Review/Comments FPGA_USBBoard -April 5, 2006

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Wed Apr 12 16:53:53 PDT 2006

Steve

Thanks for jumping in.

Basically what Phil - VK6APH and our '2 other person team' were trying to do
was to use the 4550's built in USB to do what we are trying to do with the
the Lionheart or Phil's 'heart' AND the Janus boards are projected to do.
That is 'feed' audio and control signals from USB directly into PowerSDR
software.

We were going to use the Wolfson A/D and the 4550 as a stand alone 'station
accessory' for the SDR-1000 via USB.

Frustrations with the buggy FED C compiler was a MAJOR impediment, however,
Phil also had some issues with speed of feeding audio over the USB through
the PIC.

I need to have Phil_H comment further.

Since the Atlas buss gives us the capability of experimenting with 'building
blocks' I felt that it would be valid to go back and investigate a PIC as a
'heart' to this or other projects scheduled as part of HPSDR.

Additionally if the Atlas buss proves out it's capability, as I think it
will, there is certainly a universal platform to develop and 'build on'
other projects planned for this project. Even other totally different
projects.

Thanks
Eric

I've been lurking for several months now, only because I have more projects
than time.  I've been trying to catch up.

What is it you want to do with the PIC18F2550/4550?

- Steve N7HPR
 (n7hpr at tapr.org)