[hpsdr] Atlas Construction Notes

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Mon Apr 24 08:29:51 PDT 2006

>8) Snap the ATX 20-pin connector J19 into place and solder the pins to
the pads on the >bottom side of the board.

>9) Install DIN 41612 connector J1 using two 2-56 x 5/16" machine
screws, lockwashers and >hex nuts. Tighten the screws only enough to
snug the connector

>evenly up against the circuit board. Carefully check that the ears at
the ends of the >connectors match the extentions marked by the silk
screen. This is

>to the left when the ATX connector is to the right. The DIN connectors
will fit into the >holes either way, but getting the connectors in wrong
will mean

>the daughter boards will be upside down. Make certain you have this
right before >soldering any pins as it will be impossible to change
later. Once the

>orientation is correct, solder each pin of the connector to its pad on
the bottom of the >board. It should take no more that about 2-3 seconds
of contact

>between the pin and the pad to apply the solder. When all pins are
soldered in place, >check the whole connector carefully for solder
bridges or missed

>pins.

Chris-

I concur with most of your Atlas assembly notes except for the order of
steps 8 and 9. I'd recommend installing the DIN connectors first and
then installing the ATX connector.

Since all the DIN connectors are of the same height the board sits nice
and level while the connectors are being soldered in place. If the ATX
connector is installed first things tend to rock around a bit. A minor
detail. In actuality it can be done either way.

Also, I did not find it necessary to use screws to secure the connectors
during the soldering process (probably because I didn't install the ATXC
connector first). I inserted the connector into the board and soldered
one corner pin while holding the board down on the connector to assure
proper seating. Then I soldered the opposite diagonal pin while holding
it down in the same fashion. From this point on you are free to solder
the rest of the pins without being concerned about the seating of the
connector. After the first 2nd or 3rd connectors you don't even need to
hold the board while soldering the first 2 pins since the pcb assembly
is sitting nice and flat on the table.

Thanks for taking the time to document the details of the assembly. I'm
sure all those who assemble these boards will appreciate it when the
time comes for the iron to meet the solder.

73's,

      Ray    WB6TPU