[hpsdr] Parallel port replacement - help needed

Sami Aintila oh2bfo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 00:48:41 PDT 2006

Hi Phil,

As you know, Ahti is very interested in many HPSDR projects. I haven't
had much time myself to follow everything that's happening. Still, if
you're doing SDR-1000 parallel/USB conversion, it seems like a good
idea to make it as compatible with the Flex adapter as possible. I
hope I can help you with this.

The actual implementation, especially on the OZY end, is something you
and other volunteers have to do on your own. However, on the PC side
of things, I would recommend using the existing API between PowerSDR
(or any other client) and USB. This way current (and future) versions
of PowerSDR will work with your USB interface with little or no
modifications to the hardware control code.

USB support for 1.6 and previous versions of PowerSDR is provided
through Sdr1kUsb.dll. However, with the famed "new software
architecture" that's coming someday, also the USB code will be
included in the open source PowerSDR distribution. This way also
non-Windows users will have access to the USB interface. In fact, I
believe Bob McGwier has already been testing the new USB code on
Linux.

I hope I can send you some detailed information already before leaving
for a trip next week. But if not, I'm afraid you'll have to wait a
couple of weeks until I return.

73, Sami OH2BFO