[hpsdr] substitute for a low noise Norton amp

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Wed Aug 2 15:00:16 PDT 2006

>Hi folks looking for the perfect high IP3, low NF amp:

>A good substitute for a low noise Norton amp or push pull  2N5109
system  is a modified  CATV Reverse amplifier  Typ R2005200P12 from
PDI-Sirenza.

>73 de Ulrich N1UL

 Here is a link to the datasheet for the amp Ulrich just mentioned:

http://www.premierdevices.com/de/pdf/REVERSE%20AMPLIFIER/Datasheet_R2005
200P12_A.pdf

I notice that it is specified from 5-200 MHZ and there are no plots to
show how it drops off below 5 MHz. It also takes 360mA at 12VDC so it is
kind of current hungry (much more so than a couple 2N5109s I think).

They also spec the RF performance quite differently than receiver people
are accustomed to, using some metrics peculiar to the CATV industry such
as CTB, XMOD, CSO, d2 as defined by the NCTA.

Ulrich, you mentioned 'modified'. In what respect? Can you translate the
CATV performance numbers to OIP3, MDS and dynamic range?

-73, Ray    WB6TPU