[hpsdr] Simplified Phoenix Diagram Rev 4

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Mon Aug 7 08:49:48 PDT 2006

After my last posting of a proposed Phoenix RX architecture, Phil VK6APH
proposed an alternate interface between the ISD and the AK5394a A/D.

As Bob pointed out last week, there was a real potential for destroying
the dynamic range by feeding the ISD output to the A/D on the Janus
board as I had originally suggested. In the latest proposal from Phil,
he suggests that the output from the ISD integrators be converted to
true balanced signals which can then be cabled over to the Janus
balanced inputs with very little noise pickup. By utilizing the Janus as
it was intended this eliminates replicating most of the Janus circuitry
on the Phoenix board.

Please see the two block diagrams on the Phoenix Wiki page
(http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=PHOENIX) to compare the two
approaches.

I think we are beginning to converge on a possible solution. Any and all
comments on the pros or cons of these approaches are solicited.

73	de Ray	WB6TPU