[hpsdr] [Fwd: Re: Flux sources? Some other ideas..]

John Nordlund jnordlund at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 19 01:48:58 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I thought I might chime in and confuse all of you solder slingers just a
bit.

Water based fluxes do work to a point, but there are some other options
you might want to consider.

In the manufacturing facility I work at we tried the water based flux
back in 2001 and 2002.  What we gained in cleanup convenience was lost
quickly in the rather dramatic increase in solder fault related failure
of finished products.  In the end we decided that there was no benefit,
and a serious liability in using the water based flux products in our
production process.  I was working at that time as an inspector of
sub-assemblies and the drop in the quality of the solder joints that I
examined under the microscope during this experiment was to say the
least, 'alarming.'

In my current capacity as the quality data analyst that writes reports
to our customers about the units returned for warranty service, I am
still writing reports for units that failed due to the water based
solder flux used during that period, and the inferior solder joints that
were formed by trained and certified production staff.

In the end my company switched to another class of flux products
referred to as "No Clean Flux."  Our solder is made by Kester and is an
industry standard 63/37 alloy.  We use in the plant both a liquid flux
and a rework paste flux also made by Kester that is rated as "No
Clean."  What this designation means is that the flux residue if left on
the circuit boards will not cause corrosion of the board traces.  This
chemistry is approved by the FAA for use in aircraft electronics we
manufacture.  As a result of the change in solder chemistry our warranty
return rate is now under 2%, down from the 18% that we experienced with
the water based fluxes.  If it is desired to remove the flux from the
board, an alcohol wash with a disposable paintbrush with real hair
bristles will remove flux residue without causing ESD hazards to the
exposed components.

The No Clean flux behaves in a manner that is almost exactly the same as
the old rosin flux most of you have used.  It does not boil off the
board like the water based flux is prone to do.  The flux only helps the
soldering process if it stays in the joint while the solder alloy is
flowing into the joint.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I want my build of the boards in this
project to be of the highest possible quality, and to not be subject to
failures at odd intervals due to hidden solder joint faults.  Based on
my experience with water based flux in soldering I can not recommend
them to anyone for a project you want to get the best performance and
service life out of.

I do recommend kester brand solder and flux  "No Clean"  type only.

DigiKey part Numbers follow:

Solder 'No Clean" flux core 1lb. roll     KE1523-ND

Rework Flux 10 gram syringe   KE1806-ND

Solder paste  "No Clean" flux  35 gram syringe   KE1507-ND

For cleaning this flux (if you feel the need to do so) use denatured
alcohol (ethanol) available at any home improvement center, or if you
can get it pure isopropanol (not the 70% stuff they sell in the drug
stores) on a natural hair bristle paint brush.

Thanks for reading..

73 de AD5FU in Little Rock

aka

*John Nordlund
Quality Data Analyst
Audio International
Phone: 501.801.0652
Fax: 501.955.2988*

*_JFNordlund at DAHX.Com_* <mailto:JFNordlund at DAHX.Com>