[hpsdr] Cheap (inexpensive) computers

Ross Stenberg radio at charter.net
Sat Aug 19 11:07:18 PDT 2006

Remembering a thread awhile ago, I decided to upgrade an older E-Machine
Pentium III 500 MHz to something worthy of a PC for SDR use. I used a
Gigabyte motherboard which was free with the purchase of an AMD Athlon 64
3400+ which runs about the same as a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz according to
http://www.tomshardware.com/ from http://www.newegg.com/
	To keep the cost down I only went with 512 MB of new DDR 400 memory.
I did splurge with a cool blue LED cooling fan with heatsink for $9.99.
Total cost with shipping (some items were free shipping) was $167.69. I of
course stayed with my old mATX style case and power supply and the small 40
GB hard drive.

	73 Ross K9COX