[hpsdr] ISD Theory References?

Rob Frohne frohro at wwc.edu
Thu Aug 31 09:32:23 PDT 2006

Hi,

Pardon my ignorance; I haven't been party to all the discussion going on
with the ISD, and I'd like to be brought up to speed.  A Google search
for "Integrating Sampling Detector" reveals only one hit, the Pheonix
wiki page.  It seems that a number of people here on the list are
convinced that it is better than a QSD or commutating mixer.  It appears
that Ahti isn't completely happy with his experimental results.   Phil
has some simulation results on his blog page, but examining the
simulation requires Windows and I'm a Linux guy.  Gerald has a
description of the QSD in his first article:

http://www.flex-radio.com/articles_files/SDRFMP1.pdf

Referring to Figures 10 and 11 of that article.  Are we replacing the
leaky integrators (RC low pass filter )with an ideal integrator and
varying the time it is connected?   I'd like to see a block diagram.
Ahti's circuit sure looks a lot like the block diagram and simple
circuit described in Gerald's article (Figure's 10 and 11) to me.  So
what exactly are the differences between a QSD and an ISD?

What are the theoretical advantages/disadvantages of an ISD over a
commutating mixer, or a QSD?

Maybe if I understood all the above, I could make some progress on
understanding why Ahti's circuit isn't as good as expected, which is
needed to advance the Pheonix project, and I'm interested in that.  :-)

73 and thanks for bearing with me,

Rob, KL7NA

--
Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.