[hpsdr] Further thoughts on the Phoenix RX/TX architecture

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Tue Aug 1 14:34:57 PDT 2006

Ray Anderson wrote:
>  Phoenix was intended to have “Good” performance (much better than
> adequate, but less than world-class). The goal was to design a
> relatively low-cost entry level integrated HF TX/RX board that will plug
> into the ATLAS backplane and work with the Janus and OZY boards to
> achieve a vehicle that allows one to get ‘on-the-air’ with a minimum of
> fuss.
> At this point in the genesis of the Phoenix design we need to make some
> early decisions on which fork to take: a design utilizing Janus/OZY with
> ‘Good’ performance, or a design using an integrated ‘Janus/OZY’ hybrid
> interface that has the potential for ‘Excellent’ performance.

If the "Good" performance route will be chosen, a route that will require both the Janus and the OZY cards, which will
be the plus side of that choice ? We know already what the minus side is, a reduced performance compared to the Horton
card, but what about the advantages ? IMHO, the only advantage will be a small reduction in cost/price. Can this
reduction be put down in numbers ? I don't think it will be significant, so the "Good" way, as opposed to the
"Excellent" one, doesn't look as being much justifiable.  Just my two cents.

73  Alberto  I2PHD