[hpsdr] About the Dynamic Range of Receivers

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Fri Aug 4 04:56:30 PDT 2006

Here is an intuitive guide to help your thinking.  No math.

You cannot increase the dynamic range at the top by decimation.  Nothing
helps you if you clip the A/D.  What you are hoping for is to increase
the dynamic range DOWN.

Assume you have a large waveform in the stop band of the decimation
filter  and a weak signal in the passband of the decimation filter but
the strong one is not clipping the A/D.  Furthermore for simplicity,
assume the strong one in the stop band is a tone.   In both the real and
imaginary channels of this strong tone there are places where it crosses
through 0 volts.  You are sampling larger than the "Nyquist rate" for
the weak signal you are after,  so when the large signal is out of the
way (down near zero in either channel),  the weaker signal, is more
likely to wiggle a bit or two in the digital representation.  Now you
filter off the strong signal and the bit or two of wiggling is
interpolated by the filtering process.   All of that noise that was
outside of the decimation filter passband that was helping to mask the
impact of the wiggling is filtered off by the decimation filtering so
the wiggling becomes more visible because so much of the noise power is
now gone.

There is quite a bit of knoodling to get the dB enhancement (and
assumptions you hope are true) to get the actual processing gain..  You
can "see" this happening instantly with the SDR-1000 and the console
software (for example) with a weak signal you can see.    As you
decrease the filter bandwidth the noise power inside the filter (and
therefore the minimum discernible signal) drops in proportion to the
width of the filter.

Does this help at all?

Bob
N4HY