[hpsdr] MDS

john_eckert at agilent.com john_eckert at agilent.com
Sat Aug 12 11:18:39 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I haven't been following this too closely, but I would add another angle.

The atmospheric noise level numbers suggest that sensitivities greater
than these are a waste. I.E., you can't hear below the atmospheric noise.

There are two cases I can think of where I would want all the sensitivity
I can get:

i. When we are at the bottom of a sunspot cycle as we are now. On forty meters during the day I'm limited by my receiver MDS.

ii. On 160 meters I use a beverage and it normally reduces signals by
greater than 30db and noise by 40db.  So I get 10db better S/N but lose
30db sensitivity.  I can hear signals Q5 on the beverage that I can't
detect on my dipole.  This is another case where I'm limited by NF(MDS)
rather than atmospheric noise.

Great job guys!  As always I want more.  More sensitivity and more
dynamic range.

73,
John
k2ox