[hpsdr] MDS

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Sun Aug 13 18:01:42 PDT 2006

Amen to that!

Another important requirement for superior RF preamp is continuous gain control and AGC control with possible programmable levels for various antenna selections.

Continuous gain control is very important for top notch RX performance, the gain of the preamp should be set just at the treshold of band noise, so you know that there is enough gain to hear the weak one, but not more than needed. For systems with switchable antennas of various gain (beverages, verticals, beams) it would be desirable to preset, preprogram gain for each antenna configuration, so one does not have to ride the RF gain with antenna switching. For serious DXing/contesting setups this is a big plus. Option to select band filters or good old Q-multiplier is icing on RF cake.

AGC should be fed to RF preamp for the situations where great signal levels are experienced, nothing new here.

Let me give an example of my still unbeatable R4B modification I had done. I replaced preselector tube with EH7 (EF183), inserted RF gain control pot in the cathode, left the AGC controlling the grid. This gave me more gain for beverages on 160 and beam pointed North on 10 m. RF gain would be set, so I just heard a bit of band noise. R4B decent preselector tuned input/output filters provided needed front end selectivity.  That "boat anchor" is still superb performer, with one narrow roofing filter and LC IF it is the lowest ringing RX.

Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU, VE3BMV