[hpsdr] To kit or not to kit...redux.

George Medakovich George at Medakovich.com
Wed Aug 16 10:50:24 PDT 2006

Ken Klein wrote:
> Frankly, I was scared to death to start the build process, but was really
> interested in learning how to deal with SMT, particularly the really small
> stuff.  I built the Atlas, of course, but that was easy, since the parts
> were fairly large and I only needed a magnifying light.  For the VNA, I
> opted for soldering the parts individually since I wanted to be able to
> start and stop at will.  Solder paste dries up, and you need to do the whole
> process at once, if you opt for the solder paste/hot plate/heat gun/toaster
> oven.

I'm new to ALL of this stuff, but I want to BUILD something - and it is easier
for me to dribble out the $'s on kits and parts than to come up with a big wad to buy
something pre-built.  Plus, I'm so nearsighted that when I take my glasses off I
can see individual molecules, so smaller is more fun ;-)

You don't need to do the whole board at one time using the hot air method.
Seeing the handwiring on the wall, I invested in an used air pencil and have been
practicing on some surplus boards with considerable success doing a few
components at a time.  You can also make your own airpencil and I'll bet you
can do it with a small blower, too.

Performance, yes, but let me have the option of melting solder (paste).

George KE5DNG