[hpsdr] MDS and related architectures

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Thu Aug 17 05:53:09 PDT 2006

Yuri:

The ARRL in its review of the SDR-1000 said it was amongst the best
receivers they had ever measured at close in dynamics.  In fact  they
measured the receiver at 500 Hz spacing.  They could not measure the
IMD-DR and IP3 any closer than this because their laboratory equipment
was not up to the challenge.   But at that spacing,  IT IS the best
receiver they have ever measured.  It outperforms EVERY receiver on the
Sherwood Engineering page at 500 Hz.  It has a measure IP3 of 30 dBm and
a dynamic range of 98 dB at 500 Hz according to the ARRL labs.  I still
personally dispute the ARRL measurements since my own personal
measurements done with my own laboratory equipment give +32 dBm and 104
dB IMD-DR.  Gerald has repeated these experiments in the Flex lab
without my having told him my results.  I am using a high end sound card
and I suspect that this has a tremendous impact on it that I have yet to
fully understand (even  my favorite Agilent program does not understand
it!).  We are building the AKM5394A codec based devices now that will
equal this high end sound card (it uses that chip) but we have optimized
the design for our purposes (Jason and ultimately the ISD detector).
While I would admit that sometimes theory does not equal what is found
in practice,  I believe that the sampler/integrator front ends would
continue to perform well at 2 Hz spacing!  Your statement that SDR is
not up to snuff yet on the RX is demonstrably incorrect and the proof
has been supplied by an outside agency in the ARRL labs if you choose
not to believe our own numbers.

73's
Bob
N4HY