[hpsdr] I didn't think it would happen again "PING"

Murray Lang murray.lang at metoceanengineers.com
Mon Aug 21 18:15:14 PDT 2006

The beam forming had occurred to me as well, but I was interested in the
gain. With lot/block sizes shrinking and everyone becoming more precious,
towers with HF beams are now virtually impossible to get approved. However
four verticals might be more achievable. Each could be fed with a
controlled phase shift to give roughly 6dB gain (I would have thought).
Each could also have its own PA, making higher power easier to achieve in
some ways. For mobile operation the control unit could be fed with a gyro
to correct for the vehicle/vessel orientation.

I suppose this could be done with four synchronised receivers transmitters,
with the phase adjustment performed at I/Q level. However, would it be
feasible to have  outboard units based on the LT2208, a D/A of some sort,
an FPGA and a big memory stick? I imagine the memory speed would limit such
a device to HF operation.

Just a (apparently unoriginal) thought.

Murray VK6HL