[hpsdr] Include VNA capability in the Pheonix?

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Tue Aug 29 06:26:19 PDT 2006

Dear Rob,

Great idea! Some suggesttions to make full use of the "extra VNA".
* Add a buffer amplifier to the oscillator (to increase output-power and
protect the DDS)
* Provide three small RF connectors (SMA e.g.); one connected to the
RF-source, one connected to the cosine-mixer (reference) and one to the
sine-mixer (input)

By providing two measurement ports (reference&input), one can use an
external directional coupler allowing full S-parameter tests! This
means, it will be possible to measure both passive and active devices.
For further reading have a look at this application-note from Agilent:
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5965-7917E.pdf

The suggestion of Ignacio EB4APL seems interesting as well. However, I
would opt for a remote controlled antenna tuner directly at the antenna.
This will keep a 50 Ohm load at the coaxial line.

Good luck with the Phoenix design! 73s Jeroen PE1RGE

Rob Frohne wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> It seems to me that we can include without much overhead at all vector
> network analyzer capabilities in the Pheonix board.  While there are
> other stand alone VNA options available (N2PK and IW3HEV), I think the
> large dynamic range, and other good specs of the Pheonix will yield a
> better VNA than those options.  The block diagram for a narrow band
> VNA that fits our architecture is shown in a sketch I put on the web
> at:  Vector Network Analyzer Block Diagram
> <http://frohro-g5.wwc.edu/%7Efrohro/VNA.jpg>
>
> Have a look at it, and share your thoughts with us!
>
> Tnx & 73,
>
> Rob, KL7NA
>
>--
>Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.