[hpsdr] HPSDR board form factors

Krister Wikström Krister.Wikstrom at stadia.fi
Mon Dec 25 07:14:42 PST 2006

Just recently discovered the HPSDR project while researching the net for
information related to SDR. I'm favorably impressed, so much so that I'm
ready to contribute something to this effort. I could do PCB design
using PADS or Eagle, or FPGA  design using Quartus II 6.0. I work as a
senior lecturer at Helsinki Polytechnic in Finland, teaching those very
topics, in addition to embedded systems and computer engineering. We
also have an excellent RF lab with microwave network analyzers and such.

Looking at the already presented HPSDR modules, there's one detail that
puzzles me. Why are the I/O connectors NOT located at the opposite board
edge from the bus connector? What kind of enclosure has been planned for
a complete system? One would assume that something similar to Compact
PCI would be ideal, where each module can be inserted and withdrawn from
the front of the enclosure. However, this is not possible with the
present arrangement of the connectors.

Best regards and a happy & prosperous New Year,

Krister, OH2MLQ