[hpsdr] Possible Gibraltar antenna

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Thu Dec 7 00:11:34 PST 2006

Dear Mike,

I have one of these antennas on my desk (acquired from Ebay, but a
different source). In general GPS-antennas are O.K., so I shouldn't
select a specific type for the project.Furthermore, high quality
GPS-antennas are available from surplus worldwide.
One thing you should keep in mind that the GPS-antenna and the receiver
usually are a "matched pair". So the right type of antenna depends on
which type of GPS-receiver one is going to use. The GPS-receiver one
will be using depends on availability (with other words: what you have
lying around ;-) ).

Acquiring GPS-modules and/or antennas from Ebay can be difficult,
certainly if you live outside the US. Not every Ebay-seller is willing
(able?) to sell abroad. If Gibraltar is able to support a number of
different modules this would be great. Usually a GPS-module is happy
when supplied with +5 Volts or +3,3Volts and some backup battery
(capacitor) source.

For antennas a switchable supply +5V or 3,3V (current limited to say 80
mA) would be sufficient. Finally, I probably connect the GPS to my
GPS-distribution amplifier.... so no extra GPS-antenna for me. ;-)

Good luck, 73s Jeroen PE1RGE

Mike Naruta wrote:

>Is this a good antenna for Gibraltar?
>

>eBay item 270063376615
>NEW +5VDC Active GPS Antenna w/15’ cable & SMA Male Connector
>     Amplifier Module:
>Amplifier Gain:          27dB TypicalNoise Figure:             1.5dB TypicalOutput VSWR:           2.0Max.DC Voltage:               DC +5VDC Current:               22±3mA
>

>Antenna:
>Frequency:                 1575.42±3MHzVSWR:                       1.5MaxBandwidth:                 20 MHz Min. at -10 dBAxial Ratio:                3dB TypicalImpedance:                50 ΩPeak Gain:                 4 dBic Min. (7x7 cm ground plane)Gain Coverage:         -4 dBic at -90°~90°(over75% volume)Power Handling:        1 wattPolarization:               RHCP

Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering
Electronic Instrumentation Laboratory