[hpsdr] PS3 support in Linux 2.6 - Cool!

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 07:25:51 PST 2006

On 12/7/06, Philip Covington <p.covington at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Coupled with Ozy/Mercury,  and one mixer/frontend/tuner,    we could all
> > have SDR HDTV  in a few weeks of development and the Cell can handle it.
> >    The memory bandwidth between the cell and MAIN MEMORY (not cache) is
> > 29 GB/sec.   The 8 SPE's  each supports 0.25 Terraflops and many jobs
> > can be spread across them.   The bandwidth to move data between these
> > elements is 250 GB/sec.    We need to figure out  if we plan to support
> > the PS3 in our plans,  how we get data on and off the Cell based
> > computer.   So far as I have been able to find,   the PS3 does not
> > support USB (as in doesn't have it).   It does have GigE.   But
> > Ozy/Mercury do not.  We have some impediments to overcome to use it with
> > out equipment.
> >

> > Bob
> > N4HY
>

> I wonder if the PS3 supports PCI Express?  I am working on a PCI
> Express card for a work project that uses SFP fiber transceivers for
> the card to card link.  I am able to move about 210 - 240 MBytes/sec
> over the single link.
>
> I am using a Altera Stratix II GX which is quite pricey (BGA with 1508
> balls!), but PLX makes some PCIe to local bus bridge chips that would
> work for a PCIe to fiber connection between a PC/PS3 to Mercury board.
>  TI has a nice 1.5 Gbps serdes chip for the fiber transceivers.
>
> Phil N8VB

Hmmm... to answer my own question, it appears that PS3 does not have a
PCI or PCIe.   It does have USB though:

USB

PS3 equips industry standard USB EHCI host controller and its
companion OHCI host controllers. Although most USB host controllers
are PCI devices, PS3 USB host controller exists in the companion chip.
The PCI probe routines of Linux are modified so that PS3 USB host
controller can imitate PCI device. After initialization, all
operational registers of USB host controllers are directly accessed by
PPE, so no modification to original Linux USB host controller driver
is needed. PS3 has internal high speed USB hub. The USB ports of PS3
front panel is connected to the hub, not to USB host controller
directly. This PCI probe modification would be change later to get
better device driver maintainer acceptance.