[hpsdr] Introductory Books SDR

Howard Long hlong at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 17 16:25:56 PST 2006

Folks

> I can't recommend a book, although I do have a copy of Lyons
> "Understanding Digital Signal Processing", an excellent entry level
> DSP book, although not specific to SDR and it misses out much that is
> important for our application.

The most important SDR related chapter is also available online -
http://www.dspguru.com/info/tutor/QuadSignals.pdf

The SDR-1000 QEX articles are probably the practical introduction there is
that is reading material.

These two snippets are a great start.

I have found most DSP texts to be regurgitations of the same academic stuff
again and again. Indeed, having 'practical' in the title often means very
little. Hardly anything out there is real time.

Unless you have the time and $$$'s to do a course on it, I find the best
(cheapest) way to learn is by sitting at a keyboard doing it. I cut my teeth
writing a DTMF decoder for the ill-fated SSETI Express satellite about two
years ago. Although the method I used wasn't the best way of doing it, it
taught me loads. It took me two weeks to do it but like an idiot I wrote the
FFT from scratch. Unless you're doing it for coursework by a tutor who likes
to be hated, no-one in their right minds should write an FFT from scratch,
all it teaches you is that there are a million and one ways to hide a typo -
there are far too many optimised algorithms for stuff like this already out
there.

73, Howard G6LVB