[hpsdr] Odyessey-Siren Rev B - 180 vs 90 degree conversion loss

Ahti Aintila oh2rz.sdr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 17:42:51 PST 2006

Dan,

Sorry the low clocking speed of my brains, I need more time to understand.

You mention "each of the two detection caps" in the case of the 180
degree switching. Actually I'm using four capacitors like the 90
degree circuits. That should increase the detected voltage.

Then another point. We cannot study the case during one RF cycle only.
Our integrators have high time constants, so within one RF cycle the
voltage of the integrating capacitor cannot change very much, but
during the thousands of cycles of the modulated envelope the voltage
can reach close to the peak value of the input signal, taking into
account the loss in the source resistance and assuming high load
impedance of the capacitors.

To my layman's understanding, in the matched case the losses should be
same for the 90 degree and 180 degree circuits. The main difference is
that in the 90 degree case you have 4 switches charging the capacitors
90 degrees minus the rise and fall time of the switches, and in the
180 degree case the 4 switches carry the current 180 degrees minus the
same rise and fall times.

73, Ahti OH2RZ