[hpsdr] Odyessey-Siren Rev B.

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 04:07:21 PST 2006

---  snip ----
> degrees
>
> By integrating across 180 degrees in Rev B, versus just 90 degrees in
> Rev.A you are incurring an additional 2 dB reduction in gain and increase
> in NF in the Rev B. mixer, assuming the implementation losses of both
> circuits are the same.

Right.  That is why Horton ISD is so ugly and complex looking.  I was
trying to get each turned on for 90 degrees at a time.  I think we
should just test the simpler circuit.  We can tolerate the 2 dB
insertion loss if the input to this mixer is presented to a front end
based on (say)  the Norton amplifier Ulrich has shown us as one
example.  Should we implement that in a push-pull circuit,  we would
have a front end with 40 dBm IP3,  great IP2,  large dynamic range and
too good a noise figure for HF.  You could then warm the front end up
with IP3 improving loss and have a great front end with better
performance than we can use on HF but would still be usable in overtone
mode on VHF bands.  I think the loss from the simpler mixer circuit is
therefore easily overcome in a full system.  The front end amplifer, if
based on the Norton design from Ulrich or something similar, will also
provide isolation which aids in preventing LO, etc. leakage back to the
antenna.  So in a full system,  there is a good symbiotic relationship
with a slight compromise on the mixer for simplicity and a decent front
end (serving multiple system purposes).

Just my opinion.

Best 73's
Bob
N4HY

> If you wanted to simplify the receive circuit, using just one 4:1 mux
> in a single balanced circuit would probably work just as well, with
> possibly lower implementation losses.
>
> Best regards, --- Graham / KE9H
>
> ==

"If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the
corridor in the other direction. " - Dietrich Bonhoffer