[hpsdr] Odyessey-Siren Rev B - 180 vs 90 degree conversion loss

Tayloe Dan-P26412 Dan.Tayloe at motorola.com
Wed Dec 20 06:55:28 PST 2006

I think the only difference between the two may be the input impedance
seen into the detector.  However both approach sum a large number of
average pulses.  From a detection point of view, both are the same.  A
series of half cycle pulses results in lower conversion gain than a
series of quarter cycle pulses as the average peak contribution is
different due to the sampling period.

Just perform a mental experiment.  Picture in you mind a train of half
wave pulses center on the peak of the sine wave, and a train of 1/4
cycle pluses centered on the peak of the sine wave.  Which is going to
give a higher detected voltage?  Since the voltage on the detection caps
only change when a pulse is presented to it and does not discharge
between pulses, the higher average signal shape will produce a higher
detected voltage.  Conceptually this is very simple.  You can simulate
the circuit in LTSpice and see that this is indeed what happens.

Also, I don't think we are discussing matched losses here.  At least in
the original implementation, the detector is not at all matched with the
source.  The source provides the "R" factor in what appears to be an R/C
low pass filter.  That is not a matched situation.  What this is doing
is providing a detected voltage or a detected current depending on the
op-amp connection to the detector.

The lowest noise configuration is a very low noise op-amp as a pre-amp.
Because of the effect of the inverting and non-inverting terminals, the
+ sees a detected open circuit voltage, and the - side sees a detected
short circuit current.  Open circuit voltage and short circuit current
are duals of each other, but, as you can see, the situation can hardly
be seen as matched.  The disadvantage to the single op-amp approach is
that it provides a flatter frequency response.  This is good for SDR
applications, but bad if you are using it for a traditional receiver and
are trying to get as much frequency discrimination as early in the
signal chain as possible.

I am uncertain of the advantage of the active integrator.  It may be
that this provides a flatter frequency response.  Has anyone built and
compared both approaches?  Four detection caps with four separate
integrators is inherently more noisy than two differential op-amps
because the differential op-amp is proving a 1x op-amp noise
contribution while combining two differential input signals. Thus, a 2x
combined signal is produced containing only a 1x op-amp noise
contribution. If one integrating op-amp is required for each of the four
detection outputs, each op-amp provides a 1x op-amp noise contribution
for a 1x signal output.  Thus when differentially combined in the
following stage, a 2x combined signal is produced containing 1.414x
op-amp noise contribution (noise combines with the square root of the
sum of the squares).

In addition, if the integration approach does not have gain, it will
introduce additional excess noise, as the noise contribution of the
following combining op-amp will need to be added as well, further
degrading the sensitivity of the detector.

This is why I use a single normal ultra-low noise op-amp in my designs
rather than an instrumentation op-amp, which is internally three op-amps
configured much the same as the proposed integrator scheme.  The
instrumentation approach provides for better frequency roll off, but is
more noisy.

- Dan, N7VE