[hpsdr] Cypress USB Problem

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Tue Jul 4 13:36:49 PDT 2006

Thought I'd start a new thread...

Background: PC running Windows XP Pro SP2 doesn't recognize the Cypress
USB chip.  It enumerates as PID 0000 and VID 0000.  Windows insists any
driver I try to install doesn't match the hardware and refuses to load it.

Verified part is installed, oscillator is running, etc.  Part is
CY7C68013A in 128-pin package.  Application is Ozy alpha board.

Same symptom on three different computers.  Unknown device, and can;t
load a driver for it.

1) Plugged in Flex USB adapter.  Not recognized.  Went to Cypress
website and discovered... not much.  One technical reply said to put the
right drivers in the right directories!  Yes, didn't state what the
drivers were, where to get them, or suggest what the right directories
might be !!!

2) Rooted around the web some more (TAPR VNA site, and USB adapter for
N2PK VNA) and found I needed EZUSB stuff installed on the computer.

Found and loaded ezusbw2k.inf in windows\inf directory.  This is generic
cypress USB stuff, dated 4/9/2006.  From the N2PK VNA USB widget files.

Found and loaded cyusb.inf in windows\inf directory.  This is from the
Cypress download page associated with the development kit for the chip
in use.  Note that the file in the zip from cypress had this as
cyusb.inf.bak. I had to manually rename it.

Put ezusb.sys in windows\system32\drivers directory. This is generic
cypress USB stuff, dated 9/16/2002.

Put cyusb.sys in windows\system32\drivers directory. This is from the
Cypress download page associated with the development kit for the chip
in use.

3) Now the Flex USB adapter is recognized.

4) Ozy's Cypress USB chip is still an "unknown device" and Windows still
refuses to allow me to associate any *.inf I can find with it.

***

I have new parts on order, but I seriously doubt I have a parts problem.
I strongly suspect it is a driver or setup problem of some sort.

If anyone here is familiar with this chip and how to install the drivers
for it, please let me know.  I suspect it will help anyone dealing with
Ozy in the future...

73,

Lyle KK7P