[hpsdr] SMT Soldering and Circuit Board Heat Question

Bruce K3CMZ k3cmz at arrl.net
Fri Jul 28 08:16:44 PDT 2006

 I have been trying to learn how to solder these smt parts.

What I have is some solder paste with a melting temp of
361 degrees F, and a cheap six inch hot plate. The hot
plate is made out of cast iron and I an able to measure
the temp with fair accuracy.

 Now my concern is this; how much heat can the circuit
board stand before it turns to junk? My plan is to heat
the circuit board with the smt parts and solder paste
and finish this off with the embossing tool that Cash
Olsen uses. But, I am worried about the heat on the
board being too much, prehaps some of you have gone
throuh this and know if the boards can stand the heat.

 Bruce K3CMZ