[hpsdr] Another Ozy Lives!

Christopher T. Day CTDay at lbl.gov
Sun Jul 30 13:26:08 PDT 2006

My Ozy board lives!

The FPGA loads directly through the JTAG interface. The FX2 enumerates
properly. Using Phil_C's utilities and instructions, I loaded the USB
driver for the FX2 in its Cypress Default Device mode - I2C EEPROM not
yet programmed - and loaded the FX2 firmware. I programmed the I2C
EEPROM to enumerate as an HPSDR Host Assisted Load Device. I then
retargeted the Driver to the new Device, reloaded the FX2 firmware and
loaded the FPGA through the FX2, all per Phil's instructions. All LEDs
blinked appropriately. Cool!

A couple of notes:

1)       I couldn't put down the Cyclone 2 FPGA with its floppy pins on
my own without a microscope. Lyle Johnson helped out by doing that one
device for me. The rest I did on my own with a magnifying lamp. I am
pursuing the hot-plate/heat-gun approach for a future trial at this
device. My only problem was with the pins moving when I touched them
with the iron, and not being able to see that movement. The no-touch
hot-plate/heat-gun approach ought to cure that. The other small-pitch
ICs had stiff enough pins not to be a problem.

2)       I originally tried and failed to get the Ozy to enumerate
through a Belkin F5U237 Rev 3 USB 2.0 Hub. After accusing the Ozy board
for a full day, I plugged the USB cable into a port directly on the PC.
Voila! It enumerated with no problem. So, it still seems to be the case
after all these years that even new USB Hubs are not fully transparent.

Chris - AE6VK