[hpsdr] Janus Lives!!

Gerald Youngblood gerald at flex-radio.com
Wed Jul 5 08:17:18 PDT 2006

Phil,

My apologies.  Your measurement method sounds absolutely correct.  The total
system gain in front of the ADC at the time of calibration with raise or
lower the RELATIVE noise floor accordingly.  If you add 10dB more gain in
front, the noise floor will drop another 10dB from where it is now.  I think
the thing that confused me was that either I missed the measurement
conditions are they were not stated.  This is NOT a measurement of system NF
as you stated below but simply shows the relative noise floor of the ADC
under the calibration conditions.  The 500 Hz bandwidth number is not
meaningful unless the calibrated radio is attached with a dummy load.

By the way, the AK5394A part should have a noise figure of 30 dB according
to the manufacturers data sheet, given an unweighted (A weighted less 3dB)
dynamic range of 120 dB in 20 kHz bandwidth.  The CS5381 should be around 33
dB under the same conditions.  The input amplifiers will also have an effect
on system NF that has to be accounted for as well.

Good work.

73,
Gerald

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR