[hpsdr] LED polarity (was: OZY Startup Info)

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Mon Jul 17 11:36:53 PDT 2006

Hi Phil & Lyle,

We ran into the same problem on boards that we design here at work.  Even
LEDs from the same manufacturer and from the same series have different
pins (A or K) marked. If you have a good microscope (or very good eyes) you
can see that the die is mounted opposite in the two versions.

We have standardized on marking LED anodes with a "+" sign. It is easy to
read and does not imply any correspondence with the marked end.

This does not work for Zener diodes, however. :-) On those, we mark the
cathode with a "K".

This method has really cut down on the incidence of "dead LED" syndrome on
our prototypes. When we just used a dot or thick bar, we had about a 50%
chance of getting the parts put on properly. :-)

73,
Scotty WA2DFI