[hpsdr] Type of kits forthcoming?...

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 07:49:00 PDT 2006

On 7/21/06, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd at weaksignals.com> wrote:

> Lyle Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Given the three options above, which type would you prefer to see, and why?
> >

> My vote goes to having the SMT components premounted, and the rest in kit form.
> Or at least the big, multi-leg SMT chips premounted. You can always replace a damaged or lost SMT R or C, while for an
> IC, that would be a bit more problematic.
>
> 73  Alberto  I2PHD

Hi all,

I just soldered 6 more Altera Cyclone II chips in the QFP208 package
for a project at work.  After about the 3rd one I finally got my
technique worked out so I could do them quickly (about 15 seconds per
side).  The pins on the Altera QFP208 package are very very flimsy
(unlike the Xilinx Spartan 3's in QFP208).  It takes a very delicate
touch when hand soldering to not deflect the pins sideways to the next
pad especially since I like to use the drag soldering technique.

On the OZY, as a minimum I think people will want the Altera FPGA,
Cypress FX2, and the RC networks pre-installed.  While you are doing
this you might as well have all the other SMT ICs installed along with
the resistor network packs.

73 de Phil N8VB