[hpsdr] Proposal for a 'low-end' RX/TX board for HPSDR

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Fri Jul 21 12:49:46 PDT 2006

Hello Ray!

> This is still in the conceptual stage. Many details to be worked out
> yet. Comments and feature wishlists will certainly be considered.

Please consider making the board large enough to:

1) include a Tx PA that can provide 3 to 8 watts PEP into a 50-ohm load;

2) include the Rx "LNA" for impedance matching and with sufficient
dynamic range to do the rest of the system justice;

3) include the BPF and LPF needed for both Tx and Rx on the band(s) of
operation, including switching if more than one band (latching relays
are OK, or FSTxxx switches);

4) include suitable T/R switching (not using relays) so QSK CW is a
possibility.

This need not be the bleeding edge, but it would be enough to provide a
practical radio that can be used without having to add a bunch of other
"stuff".

In a similar vein, I've also thought about a "Sasquatch Lite" based on a
DSP that is available and cheap, and supported by free or nearly free
(as in liquid refreshment) development tools.

73,

Lyle KK7P