[hpsdr] To kit or not to kit...............

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Sat Jul 22 15:55:12 PDT 2006

Eric Blossom wrote:

> This list of challenges is endless.
>

>     Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw
>     back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative
>     (and creation) there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of
>     which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment
>     one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All
>     sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have
>     occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
>     raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and
>     meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed
>     would have come his way. I have learned a deep respect for one of
>     Goethe's couplets:
>
>         "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has
>          genius, power, and magic in it."
>

>     --- William H. Murray (from his book "The Scottish Himalayan Expedition")
>

> Eric, K7GNU

As always,  Eric has expressed himself more eruditely than I can closely
approximate.  I will attempt to be a bit earthier (as if that will come
as a shock).  When attempting to express these lofty ideals I always say
that I am only interested in the committed. I invariably define what I
mean for emphasis.   The chicken that laid the egg for my morning
breakfast was interested.   The pig from which I got my bacon,  was
committed.   In my opinion,  the successful participant in the early
development end of HPSDR hardware and software needs to start oinking.
The mountain is large,  and we are still  in the "potential" stage
rather than actual and this end of these kinds of projects are never for
the faint of heart.  We need no more than a few folks who can do this
serious early work jumping in.  We cannot derail the efforts of the
Lyle's and the Phil C's and Phil H's, etc.  by requesting their constant
hand holding during this period.  On the other hand, we can all be early
adopters.  I am certain (since I have already been talking to some
folks) that assembled units can be had when things are sufficiently real
to justify the expenditure of building these things in lots of 50 or 100
and having some contract manufacturer drive that manager to distraction
while getting it done.  Dealing with these manufacturers is also not for
the faint of heart.

73's
Bob
N4HY

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr