[hpsdr] Reference Clock Information

Chuck Clark af8z at panaband.com
Mon Jun 5 04:30:33 PDT 2006

Clock Oscillator Selection Guide

There are three different types of clock or reference oscillators that
are useable. All are quartz crystal controlled and may be varied in
frequency to compensate for temperature or aging drift. They all have
slightly different features.

VCXO

The VCXO is the least expensive of these references. The features are
dependent on the crystal but include the ability to discipline the
frequency. Frequency error none under phase lock. Phase noise, jitter
and residual FM are all expressions of the short term stability of the
oscillator. The phase noise would vary from good (loaded Q of the
oscillator ~100-200k at 10 MHz) to excellent (Ql>10^6) depending on the
oscillator and crystal.

Problems. No hold over if GPS lock was broken. I think temperature drift
would be too high.

TCXO

Temperature compensation of a VCXO. This improves the temperature drift.
Possibly useful in a hold over mode.

/Holdover mode./

/If GPS lock is broken by movement through a canyon (think NYC) and
satellite view is blocked it is useful to have the control voltage held
pending satellite reacquisition. A microprocessor monitoring satellite
lock and tuning voltage can provide the correction loop with the average
voltage out of the phase detector to hold the oscillator to the last
known tuning voltage. Holdover is useful for operation when the GPS lock
is lost. Lock could be lost during heavy rains as well as movement
through an area with poor sky visibility/.

The TCXO is characterized by the ability to hold the frequency range to
within x parts per million (ppm) over a specific temperature range.
Wider temperature ranges usually have wider frequency windows.

Problems. Holdover requires additional knowledge of the temperature to
keep the frequency extremely accurate.

OCXO

Oven controlled crystal oscillators the ultimate quartz controlled
oscillators. The approach to the frequency drift is to hold the
temperature fixed.

Problems. Oven needs to be on all the time. Oven warm up can be up to 30
days for finial stability. Cost, ovenized oscillators can be ten times
the cost of a TCXO. The $260 Crystek ovenized oscillator is a low cost
reference. Some of us would be happy to pay that on Ebay for a used HP……
Ovens always require current, the Crystek requires 300 ma during warmup
and 110 ma for normal operation.

Obliviously I like OCXOs but they may not be better than a VCXO if you
don’t require holdover. The phase noise doesn’t need to be superior to a
VCXO or TCXO. It depends of the oscillator and the crystal.

HPSDR Reference Requirements

SDR 1000 200MHz for the DDS.

500 MHz for AD9959. Using the internal clock multipliers increases the
spurious levels relative to using a high frequency clock This is an area
which might be used to attack costs and board area. The 9959 output
should be good through 1.25 meters with a 500 MHz clock.

10 MHz. To lock other downconverters.

HPSDR Solution

Current plan is for a 10 MHz OCXO. This will require a second loop to
control a 200 MHz reference for the Flex SDR or a HF DDS

A third clock is required to be locked to the 10 MHz for the 500 MHz
clock for the VHF DDS.

I am attaching a first cut block diagram for thought. There are probably
better idea’s than I have listed here, please pass them along.

Data, gotta have data.

Engineers must have data. Its part of our genetic makeup. The above
discussion doesn’t help most of us decide what oscillator is the best
for the HPSDR. I’ve collected phase noise data on several frequency