[hpsdr] [CASMIR] Design v0.3

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 17:28:45 PDT 2006

Chris,
A little too much cut-n-pasting and not enough editing on the airplane. I put the ADL5390 in place of the AD8345/AD8349 modulators for the drawing. The AD8345/AD8349 is used by the USRP, but I was looking at the ADL5390 as an alternative.

This leads to my query to everyone on LO and I/Q generation. I need some solid arguments not some "I used DDSes in the past and they suck.", but some good technical discussions. So ... here are three directions the design can go:

(1) Use the AD9958 and generate the LO and the DDS reference clock from the FPGA
(2) Use a AD9959 and don't let the FPGA generate the LO, just the reference clock for the DDS
(3) eliminate the DDS and let the FPGA do all the work

It's an open design, I'm putting it on the table and looking for lots of useful input. OR add your own option.

Alex, N3NP