[hpsdr] Gibraltar Prototyping

Steven Bible n7hpr at tapr.org
Thu Jun 8 19:43:24 PDT 2006

Hi Chris,

The Reflock II does have the serial interface and it can be anything you
want to program the CPLD for.  Right now, Luis has it programmed for a
pseudo SPI for the r2_enhpps_30_1 code.  I have the PICDEM FS USB demo board
already connected to the serial interface and reading off values once per
second.  I am sending the values out the RS-232 port for now and using
HyperTerminal on the PC.  Quick and simple.  I need to get the USB side
running which requires coding for the PICmicro and the PC for USB.  The
tricky thing about USB vs. RS-232, is that USB is host controlled.  The
peripheral does nothing until it is commanded from the host.  With RS-232,
when the peripheral sends data up the pipe, the PC catches and displays.  So
the PC USB code has to poll the peripheral to see if it has any data to
send.  Thus a little more complication or rather a different way to think
about how you are going to program.

73,

- Steve, N7HPR
 (n7hpr at tapr.org)