[hpsdr] picoPSU Noise Test - well, I still think they're cute.

Ahti Aintila oh2rz.sdr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 06:06:26 PDT 2006

Chris,

Your 5-turn magnetic pick-up loop doesn't necessarily tell the whole
truth. It may be worse or hopefully better.

Actually, we are not so much interested in the near field internal
magnetic noise. That is not usually going very far and can be
protected by metal shield.  More serious are the conducted
differential and common mode noise voltages and currents that may
propagate along the cables and wires anywhere and even radiate like
any other electromagnetic transmission.

You will need good measurement setup to find the truth. However, the
EMC /RFI standards are usually interested only in frequencies above
150 kHz. We use our sound cards at frequencies below that where the
noise levels are not controlled by the standards.

Good luck and 73,
Ahti OH2RZ