[hpsdr] Kicad and Open Source Tools

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Sat Jun 10 08:04:19 PDT 2006

Phil!

I was hoping you wouldn't get distracted by the Kicad comment. YOU ARE TOO
BUSY!

Folks - Lurkers!

I know that it is most or all of our feeling that we should use open source
tools as much as possible while generating the IP on the HPSDR projects. A
good example is Quartus Web edition mentioned recently.

Kicad looks like a great Open Source tool, we can use, which is close, as
Phil mentions but "No Cigar" and slows down the momentum of creating the
project boards.

Since we have many folks including Lurkers, perhaps some of you could 'team
up' to 'watch' Kicad (and other potential tools). Perhaps repair the auto
router (stay outten this Phil). Interact with LIS, monitor their user group.
Generate HPSDR parts which are not in current libraries. etc.

Perhaps we could/should put a list of approved open source tools together,
as an 'official starting point' for attempting to put together a project.

WATSA?
Eric