[hpsdr] picoPSU Noise Test #2a - Looking good!

Ahti Aintila oh2rz.sdr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 02:15:49 PDT 2006

Chris,

The noise floor is better now, but still I wonder the high level,
about -110 dBm. For comparision here is my SDR-1000 with Waveterminal
192X and the antenna connector terminated at 50 ohm. I also tuned the
frequency to minimal DDS spurious signals:
<http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ahti/sdr-1000/Noise_SDR.png> The
noise is about -140 dBm.The measurement was made with the hardware
according to the latest recommendations of FlexRadio. If I adjust the
preamplifier and the opamp following the QSD to the minimum noise
floor, I can go better than -160 dBm. Of course, then the overload
limit of the QSD will be lower.

When disconnecting the I/Q cable from the radio and terminating it
with 600 ohm, I see the sound card noise:
<http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ahti/sdr-1000/Noise_WT192X.png>

I believe, the SDR-1000 is calibrated to a better accuracy than +/-1
dB. I have to ask also like you: "Am I fooling myself somehow?"

73, Ahti OH2RZ