[hpsdr] Horton LO

Arthur J. Lekstutis Artie at Lekstutis.com
Sat Jun 17 05:32:06 PDT 2006

Hi,

I can't keep up with you guys as I'm too busy with other projects at the
moment, so I mostly lurk on this list. Perhaps I misunderstand or missed
an email some place.

Wouldn't a purely digital "fractional N" divider generate significant
spurs? The duration of any digital signal from a synchronous device
must, by definition, be multiples of the clock cycle. Trying to get
around this with a fractional N divider will result in uncertainty of
the desired output of approximately the clock period. The jitter would
equal the clock period, the magnitude would depend on the current
fraction. I would expect spurs from that. Or am I missing something?

Adding a random number generator to a fractional N divider to choice
when to switch from one frequency to another (which is what I think a
fractional N divider basically does) might spread out the spurs out, but
they'll still be there.

I think you need to be happy with an integer divider, or introduce an
analog PLL, if you want to minimize noise.

Back to lurking....

Later,
Artie Lekstutis
KC2MFS