[hpsdr] Fwd: Horton LO - further thoughts

Jim Miller jim at jtmiller.com
Sat Jun 17 10:11:12 PDT 2006

I'll admit right off that I'm new to ham radio but have done a lot of
reading in the last year. Although I worked 30 years as an EE before
retiring I never worked in RF so there's been a lot of fun learning.

The one thing I keep reading is that good phase noise performance in a good
design is limited by the Q of the resonator. At HF nothing comes close to
the Q of a crystal. For frequencies up to 500Mhz I'm guessing that it will
be very hard to beat the phase noise of a frequency multiplied 100Mhz
oscillator.

Second best is probably a well designed and accoustically isolated resonant
cavity obviously at a much higher frequency considering practical sizes.

Although the DDS does have SFDR limitations at least the phase noise
approaches that of a crystal oscillator.

I see mention of fine tuning resolution of the DDS as unnecessary yet it
comes for free so I can't see it as a limitation. Small frequency changes
can be useful for minimizing spurs and can be made invisible by software.
Nothing says you have to use the fine stepping of the DDS for tuning. The
SFDR is still a limitation.

I guess what I'm saying is that without a good Q at the heart of the
oscillator I doubt we'll be satisified with phase noise results.

And achieving that maximum base Q may well require different means as the
frequency goes beyond HF.

jim ab3cv