[hpsdr] Warning on Atlas! NO HIGH TEMP WORK!

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun Jun 18 11:03:45 PDT 2006

>   "...laminates - even those that pass the stringent FR4 test for quality - are generally unable to withstand the much higher temperatures for lead free solders..."
> I don't understand that. It isn't "much higher", it's only a few degrees. I just had a look at this Altera document:

The delamination is a combination of slightly higher temperatures and
much longer dwell times at temperature.  The longer times apparently
have to do with the poorer wetting quality of the lead-free solders. The
delamination chemical reaction is a sort of integrating process. It is
the product of time * temperature that causes the problem.  There is no
guarantee that t e boards *will* delaminate, but the bond is certainly
weakened and they *may* delaminate.

There are other formulations which can withstand the higher
temperatures, but there is presently an extra cost associated with it.
As time goes bay and RoHS compliance becomes commonplace, I suspect the
cost increase will go down.

I am going through this process now with my DSPx boards. I was able to
locate a vendor in the US who is making the high-temp, gold-plated PC
boards for only alittle more than I wa spaying for off shore boards.
The setup costs are substantially higher, unfortunately.

In the end, we may be able to get RoHS compliant boards that are also
suitable for the higher temperature processes for only a little more per
board if the quantities are reasonable, say in the mid-hundreds.

73,

Lyle KK7P.