[hpsdr] Atlas, How do I hand solder this thing?

Steven Bible n7hpr at tapr.org
Sun Jun 18 12:47:45 PDT 2006

Gang,

I would recommend using water soluable (organic) flux.  It is much easier to
clean, all you need is water.  With rosin core and no-clean, you need IPA or
specific flux cleaners that are smelly (technical term :-).

Lyle will tell you that as he is soldering a project, that he will wash the
PCB after each one hour time period.  Make sure you doa good job cleaning
the PCB.  Any left over flux can be activated by any mosture (such as
humidity).

Digi-Key has organic flux pens Digi-Key P/N KE1808-ND.

While you are at it, purchase organic flux solder, Digi-Key P/N KE1303-ND
(0.015").

And desolder braid Digi-Key P/N EB1173-ND (no flux, just drop some organic
flux on the area you plan to desolder)

73,

- Steve, N7HPR
 (n7hpr at tapr.org)

DERS_W0QQitemZ8282797047QQcategoryZ16504QQcmdZViewItem
)  This gun us on special from Hobby lobby for $10 or so pretty frequently.

Solder Paste in a syringe -- one can get solder paste from Cash Olson
http://www.zianet.com/erg/ShopSolderPaste.html  (he also sells the
Stampabilities heat gun)

Basically you apply solder paste to the pads and place the components, and
then heat with the hot air gun until the solder flows.  I find this
technique quicker than hand soldering these days, but you have to have
solder paste to use it.   The other thing I like about the heat gun
approach is that it can be used to remove parts as well.

Cash Olsen's site also has a nice write up on hot air reflow:
http://www.zianet.com/erg/SMT_Soldering.html

I've not personally used  the bake or fry techniques.

Info on the Bake technique can be found @:
http://www.qrpradio.com/pub/Ham/SDR/SMT/SMT.html

Info on Frying can be found @:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/present.php?p=Reflow%20Skillet

Doing surface mount work is not all that hard -- yes the parts are small
(microscopic!) but it is doable -- just take a little practice and an
attitude that it can be done.  For practice, I'd suggest the Norcal QRP
dummy load ( http://www.norcalqrp.org/ncdummyload.htm ) -- it's an
inexpensive kit with 44 SMT resistors that is probably an ideal 1st time
surface mount kit.  2nd SMT kit I'd recommend is one of Tony's (KB9YIG)
recommend is the AmQRP DDS 60 (http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/).    These
are all moderately priced kits with surface mount components.    Sure there
are others, these are just some ones I've done.

HTH,

Bill  (Kd5tfd)

HPSDR Discussion List
To post msg: hpsdr at hpsdr.org