[hpsdr] Atlas, How do I hand solder this thing?

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Sun Jun 18 14:15:55 PDT 2006

Steve!

Thanks for all the information. This is the opportune time, for this, since
it will be the first foray for many into the 'art' of SMT soldering. I
called it the 'rite of passage' into this experiment, and it really is for
many. This board has really very few SMT components and is the perfect
testing ground for SMT. The real problem is not the cost of the board it is
the availability, since there are none in the pipeline at this point. There
are currently 41 additional 'expression of interest' for Atlas so I hope we
can get another 100 to 200 in production.

Perhaps my next project would be to put together a SMT subkit of solder,
past flux etc. We could gather this expert information and documentation for
all assembled. I realize this stuff is not really all that hard to get, but
usually one doesn't need 10 pounds of solder etc. Even make it a part of the
Manual that Horst is working on. Although something like this would not
really be economical for non domestic members, it might be of interest to
folks here in USA.

There are a number of good references on the Internet for doing manual SMT
work. The best I ever read was in a PM from Lyle, when I expressed 'jitters'
about doing the SMT.

We need some lurkers to google and put together a good list of SMT sites. I
remember one site which had many other url's for SMT

Thanks All
Eric