[hpsdr] [FPGA_USB] Review/Comments FPGA_USB Board - April 5, 2006

Rick Hambly (W2GPS) w2gps at cnssys.com
Mon Jun 19 12:35:46 PDT 2006

Lyle,

I use the FTTI FT232BM chip in my commercial product.  It has the advantages
of unburdening the software in the uP from doing USB, looks just like a
standard USART, handles all the control signals (required for precision time
applications), etc.

FTDI also provided me with four PIDs under their blanket VID for free and
provided a customizable Windows driver that would understand my PIDs and
operate separately from their generic USART products.  This has been a
strong incentive for me to stay with FTDI rather than rolling my own USB or
letting one of my PICs do it.

Rick
W2GPS
AMSAT LM2232