[hpsdr] [Flexradio] Teamspeak Audio - 05-13-06 lots of announcements

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Sun May 14 12:37:25 PDT 2006

Chris:

AMSAT calls this approach to amplification HELAPS (high efficiency
linear amplification by parametric synthesis).  DJ4ZC wrote his doctoral
dissertation on "our brand"  of EER in the early 1970's.  Oscar 7

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/database/MasterCatalog?sc=1974-089B

launched in  1974 had a 70 cm up,  2 m down crossband repeater
(transponder).  It did EER (HELAPS).  Last fall AB2KT, KK7P, G6LVB, and
I proposed to AMSAT-DL that we do this for P3E in an SDR transponder.
That is called SDX (SDR transponder).  Karl,  DJ4ZC,  immediately
recommended adding it to the spacecraft and we will now do that if all
goes well.  It is called SDX (I think K3IO coined that acronym) and is
one of the influences on Sasquatch/HPSDR.  Very soon AMSAT is going to
open its Wikipedia (Eaglepedia) and the design documents for that will
be open.  For those of you attending Dayton,  if you care to drop by the
AMSAT booth,  you may see the SDX prototype in action and see the block
diagram Lyle has drawn for the SDX where HELAPS (EER) is done.

At http://www.gpstime.com  you can hear the first "QSO" through our SDX
prototype built on SDR-1000's  if you scroll down the page and click on
the audio.  This is a very exciting time for me personally because I see
AMSAT,  TAPR, Flex,  HPSDR, GnuRadio doing things that commercial
companies and even government institutions have lost the ability to do
because of their organizational structures and because they cannot
justify it in the quarterly reports/ bean counting or because of their
"stove pipe, task oriented" nature.  If anyone hears ANYONE say that
amateur radio is technically dead,  tell them to wake up and join these
groups.  The only threat facing our health is demographics and loss of
clout.

Bob
N4HY