[hpsdr] The Basics (with updates)

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Wed May 3 06:59:25 PDT 2006

Hi Alex,

On 5/3/06, Alex <harvilchuck at yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
> More questions:
>
> How is OZYMANDIAS "bigger" than LIONHEART?

It uses a Cyclone II part with more I/O.

> What is the development status of LIONHEART?

Since we haven't had a status update from Leon in quite a while I
would say that the LIONHEART is stalled.  I would guess that Leon has
lost interest in the project since he has also not ordered an ATLAS
board and did not participate in the review of the ATLAS design.

Leon?

> Is JANUS interfacing to SDR-1000 just for I/Q signals or is it also providing the LPT-based control interface?

We *need* a FPGA_USB board to continue on with long term this project
so that is why OZY was created.

> Are OZYMANDIAS, MERCURY and SASQUATCH going to use the Altera Cyclone II FPGA?

OZY will use a 208 pin QFP Cyclone II (EP2C5)

The MERCURY will probably use the same.

Don't know about SASQUATCH.

A couple of other things to throw out there:

1. GPIO board - I would like to see a general purpose I/O board that
has buffered/protected industrial strength input and outputs.  Maybe
an optical encoder interface on it also.  I would envision that this
GP I/O board would communicate across the backplane using an
SPI/Microwire interface since I2C is probably too slow for this.

2. TX System - My goal is to put together a complete SDR RX/TX.  Right
now we are building the RX components.  We need to start thinking
about TX.  For sure I'd like the TX to be independent (can operate at
the same time) from the RX system.  It is not clear if it should be a
DDS-QSE type of system or a class E amp/PWM modulator type of system.
I am leaning towards the latter if possible.  Or maybe a DAC/DUC based
system?  Lots to think about...

3.  PROTO board - The PROTO board has already been mentioned.  This
would be great for experimentation.

4. DDS board - It would be nice to have one for at least general
purpose signal generation for VNA type applications.  I would envision
at least two sets of independent quadrature outputs.

73 de Phil N8VB