[hpsdr] The Basics (with updates)

David Woodhead dwoodhead at bms-inc.com
Fri May 5 13:33:27 PDT 2006

Class E output stage is a switch, I think it is a mistake to think of it
as an amplifier. The output circuit (tank) smoothes out the on-off
pulses of the switch - it is resonant very close to the operating
frequency. I have built a 3 band (160/80/40) PWM modulated 1KW class E
transmitter. http://www.km5tz.netfirms.com/classe.htm You can certainly
achieve very high efficiencies with exceptional modulation linearity.

I am interested in the envelope restoration technique. I believe that
newer cell phones are using or developing this technique (because of its
efficiency); Class E output passes phase information (but no AM), PWM
modulates the amplitude. One of the complicating factors is the
modulation bandwidth. It is much easier to implement at lower bandwidths
than broadband - especially closed loop (demodulate transmitted signal
and pre-distort to correct for modulation non linearity). Voice
bandwidth should be easy.

David
KM5TZ