[hpsdr] Atlas Update - From whence we have come

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 21:07:51 PDT 2006

Eric,
Excitement anf faith in a technical project only get you so far, sometimes it clouds judgement.

What I'm advocating is the same thing Bob said in his reply to my post. We need to use sound engineering practices and reviews to go through the designs. There is no hurry to get a passive backplane out the door, better to wait and get a high quality, working system sometime "this summer". Just building something without making sure it works does not help to advance the state-of-the-art for amateur radio. If there are unforseen design problems, it will only frustrate people trying to use the HPDSR and hurt the process.

There are still a number of basic questions unanswered, things like, but not limited to:
What are the form factors for the plug-in cards?
What are the specifics of the ATLAS bus (some of it is written down, but there are a bunch of blanks)?
Is a 10MHz or a 1pps reference signal going to be supported? If so, it it going to be distributed over the backplane?
Are the JTAG connectors going to be put in a common location on the top of each plug-in card?
Does OZY have the throughput to handle both a MERCURY and a JANUS board operating at the same time?

What the project need is some design documentation, so that folks who want to design a curcuit know how to integrate it in. I'd be tickled pink with some block diagrams!

So, yes, I would hold my order until the group has a baselined design for JANUS, OZY and ATLAS. JANUS is going through a redesign currently! If I have to I'll run a set of boards myself.

I am more than happy to work on documentation, but it's going to take lots of questions and the corresponding answers.
A valid answer to a question can be "we don't know yet".

Alex, N3NP